Note: You are welcome visit Steward Wood, however please respect our privacy. The settlement area is not part of the woodland walk and is not a public area. If you wish to visit the community please read this before you do anything.
How to find us
Steward Wood is located one mile south of Moretonhampstead in the Wray Valley. The A382 (which runs north and south between the A30 and the A38) passes the woodland. Exeter is about 14 miles away to the east and Newton Abbot is about 12 miles to the south. Postcode TQ13 8SD.
By Foot & Bike
- From Moretonhampstead we are about 25 minutes walk. From the centre of Moreton, head down Pound Street opposite the Co-op Supermarket. Take the first left along Brinning Lane, then join the cycleway on the left side at the bottom of the hill. Walk along the cycleway for 1 mile until just before it joins the road. You will see our sign and postbox. Follow the well worn path up behind into the woodland, going up the hill for about 5 minutes to reach the Settlement Area.
- From Lustleigh you head north towards Moretonhampstead. You will pass Wray Barton Manor (with converted barns) on your right and after another half mile you pass the sewage works also on your right. Beyond this is Steward Wood. Keep going until you come to the lay-by on the right which has a large stone buttress alongside. In the layby at the entrance of the access track leading up to our carpark and the cycleway is a sign saying "No unauthorised vehicles" (please ignore this!). Follow the cycleway up and you will find our sign and postbox. Follow the well worn path up behind into the woodland, going up the hill for about 5 minutes to reach the Settlement Area.
You can check if anyone is offering a lift on our lift sharing page. If not, you will need to get to either the A30 (going west towards Okehampton) or the A38 (going south towards Plymouth). If you end up in Exeter City Centre you could try the B3212 which is signposted from the large roundabout ('Exe Bridges') over the river.
- Via the A38 you need to get dropped at the Drumbridges roundabout which is the junction for Newton Abbot. From there, you hitch north toward Moreton on the A382 past Heathfield and Bovey Tracey.
- Via the A30 you need to get dropped at the junction for the A382 at Whiddon Down then hitch south for Moretonhampstead. See the directions from Moretonhampstead given above, it is a short walk.
You can get either a train or a coach to Exeter or Newton Abbot (preferably Exeter). Note that you need to arrive in good time to catch the last bus to Moretonhampstead (which leaves at 6.15pm from the bus station Mon-Sat).
- From Exeter you get a bus Number 359 at 1.15pm 3.15pm 5.15pm, and 6.15pm being the last. On a Sunday or public holidays, you have to get a Number 82 bus.
- From Newton Abbot you catch the 178 bus from the bus station. There are only two buses a day (at 8.55am & 1.50pm).
If you are coming by car, please check our lift sharing page and offer a lift to others if you can. The route is well signposted from the A30 or the A38 (to Moretonhampstead). The postcode for SatNav is TQ13 8SD. Once here (see info above to locate us) you can park alongside the cycleway in the designated visitor parking area on the right.
Remember: Please read this before visiting.